Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

First Meal Plan

I've seen a few bloggers doing a weekly meal plan, and I figured it might be a way for me to curb my food spending habits. In the last few months the Aussie has been tracking our spending in preparation for buying a house, and we've sadly realised that food spending is out of control ridiculous - fancy ingredients (hello, coconut flour), eating out (Thai take-out), and poor planning. I accept that Australia is more expensive (heck, avocados were $4 the other day), but I think planning meals will help ensure I'm using everything I buy. Plus I can pair more expensive meals with cheaper meals during the week.

Speaking of buying, I plan to start raiding my pantry to see what I can come up with. I bought a case of organic canned beans awhile ago, so I still have a few of those. Plus the more we eat the less we have to pack.

This week will be nothing too fancy, but hopefully I'll get better as the weeks go by.

MONDAY - Toast with cream cheese and tomato (no food in the fridge)
TUESDAY - Tofu scramble 
WEDNESDAY - Stacked Veggie Enchiladas
THURSDAY - Mexican bowl with homemade salsa and guacamole
FRIDAY - Cauliflower wings with side salad

The Aussie was a champion and picked up 90% of what we need for the meals (I'll be picking up some organic produce from the market and a few odds and ends).


The tofu scramble was delicious. The key to the perfect scramble is to ensure the bottom browns with proper cooking (let it cook without flipping it for awhile). For my scramble, I use pepper and mushrooms and the tofu base is organic tofu, a ton of nutritional yeast, turmeric, mustard, black pepper and pink salt. I use a potato masher to mash the tofu and then add the ingredients with a splash of water. I cook the peppers and mushrooms and then add the tofu to heat and brown it.


Today's other excitement (perhaps only excitement, because seriously meal planning isn't that fun) was visiting a specialty store selling American food called Amazing Savings. When I arrived I was told that today was closing day, which meant super low prices. I was forced to load up on things the Aussie and I haven't had in forever!



The goods will need to be portioned out or else we'll be on a permanent sugar high. With that being said, I do believe breakfast will be a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch.

The Workout

I did a 5k walk.  

Off to read,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment