Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Little Things

My piece of advice - don't head to the beach when it's in the 30s/90s and expect to find peace and serenity. My trip started off on a good note with the wait for a tram being short


And I was at my location in no time.


But instead of peace, I found this:


Honestly, I don't know why I thought I would be the only one who decided to go to the beach; it was foolish of me. I stayed for one hot second (okay, an hour).

Obviously the beach experience didn't influence the title of this post, but what did was reading Peanut Butter Runner's blog post today about the 26 random acts of kindness project inspired to honour the lives of those lost in the Sandy Hook shooting in December.

Doing a kind act does more than help someone else, it helps you. It makes you realise that life is just a bit better when you fill your heart with kindness. Sometimes we're drowned with the violence and sadness in life (especially when we turn on the evening news), and we lose sight that often it's the little things in life that can mean so much.

My first random act of kindness was an envelope drop into a neighbour's mailbox with an Oscar Wilde quote - To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - along with $5.



I also explained about the meaning behind the kindness. I hope it puts a smile of their face, and, heck, it may just inspire them to pay it forward.

I'm reminded of my first ever random act of kindness when I was around 14. A neighbour was going through a very ugly divorce and I knew she was having a hard time, so I slipped $10 in her mailbox, as a little surprise.

I think we should all strive for more random acts of kindness in our day to day lives, because it really is the little things. It doesn't have to be money - it can be offering a hand to someone who needs help, volunteering your time/skills, and the list goes on and on.

Now if someone wants to scratch a random act of kindness off their list, please feel free to come over to wash the stack of dishes that are waiting for me in the kitchen ;) 

Off to avoid wash the dishes,

B





No comments:

Post a Comment